Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Art of Charley Harper









  "When I look at a wildlife or nature subject, I don't see feathers, fur, scapulars or tail coverts - none of that. I see exciting shapes, color combinations, patterns, textures, fascinating behavior and endless possibilities for making interesting pictures. I regard the picture as an ecosystem in which all the elements are interrelated, interdependent, perfectly balanced, without trimming or unutilized parts; and herein lies the lure of painting: in a world of chaos, the picture is one small rectangle in which the artist can create an ordered universe."
                                                                                                  - Charley Harper


  Charley Harper was a conservationist as well as an artist. His whimsical, colorful, and geometric take on the animal kingdom made Harper famous. He illustrated many books, prints, posters, and magazines. A few of his notable works are: The  Golden Book of Biology and Ford Times magazine. To learn more visit:charleyharper.com

  I recently discovered Harper and have been very impressed by his style. His work is so fun and vibrant! I have posted some of his works below. I hope you enjoy!